Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chile Cilantro Snapper Tacos with Broccoli Lime Slaw

Tomorrow is the last day of the 500 Taco Summer, otherwise known as the Taconox. Can I make it to 150? That would be 50% more than my original goal. Seventeen tacos in less than a day and a half is a real stretch for me, but I think I'm going to go for it.

Anyway, the three at lunch that brought my count to 133 look impressive, but were ridiculously easy - my favorite kind of recipe. Plus they are quite healthy. I recommend these for a quick weeknight meal or a night with friends. The recipe is easy to double and they only took me about 10-15 minutes start to finish.

By the way, the George Foreman grill is a miracle machine, I tell you, and their suggested recipes can get you going in the right direction. I tweaked the Cajun Rubbed Red Snapper recipe to make these delights.

Chile Cilantro Snapper Tacos with Broccoli Lime Slaw


For the Chile Cilantro Snapper:
2 large Pacific snapper filets, about 3/4-1lb, or similar (your butcher can help you choose the right fresh fish and the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch guide can help you pick the most sustainable option - there's an app for that!)
1 tsp chile powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro

Preheat George Foreman grill to 300, no need to spray. Mix chile powder, paprika, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. Coat filets evenly, pressing the rub into the fish. Sprinkle evenly with cilantro and press in. Grill for 3-5 minutes, start checking at 3 minutes to see if the fish is done.

For the Easy Broccoli Lime Slaw:
1 bag broccoli slaw
1-2 Tbsp cole slaw dressing (try Marzetti or Kraft)
Juice of 1/2 a lime

Toss ingredients until well combined. Also great with cabbage cole slaw mix, but the broccoli is so healthy and gives it a nice crunch and more elegant appearance.

For the tacos:
Chile Cilantro Snapper
Lime wedges
6 taco shells (I'm addicted to Whole Grain Ortega Taco Shells - 55 calories and 3 grams of fiber each with plenty of crunch)
Pico de gallo OR mango salsa (I used pico, but I think mango would have been even better)
Easy Broccoli Lime Slaw

Flake the fish into large chunks and squeeze lime juice over the top. Layer shells with fish, salsa, and slaw. Yes, it's that easy.


1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to get those shells. I always make a taco salad bowl to avoid the tortilla calories but 50... that calories I can totally afford.

    I like the broc slaw idea. I have actually never cooked with it. You always make these recipes look so easy peasy. I'm ready for chef Vron to return to seattle for a midweek adventure!!

    ReplyDelete