Friday, January 21, 2011

Farmers' Market: Salmon Scramble

Breakfast for dinner! It's a great American tradition. Well, I meant to have this for an actual breakfast, but didn't have time before my Pilates class. So I was going to have it for lunch, but after an hour of Pilates, 25 minutes on the stationary bike (with actual resistance! yea! a new feat for my post-surgical ankle), half an hour in the pool (also new today), and walking at least a mile (fairly new for my ankle, but not a first), my recovery-reduced stamina gave out and I hit my exhaustion point. Unable to move from the couch for a good while, my scramble just had to wait for dinner.

But you're not here to read about my life of physical therapy. You're here to read about fooooooood. More specifically, the food that is called the smoked salmon. *drool* You've already seen the elegant pasta and the stunning canapes, and you just couldn't help coming back for more! Right? Right? I knew it!

Today's dish is just as simple and delicious. With such a great ingredient as quality smoked salmon, you just don't need to get complicated.

Smoked Salmon Scramble
Serves 1


1 whole egg
2 egg whites
2 splashes milk
Fresh dill
Salt & pepper to taste
2 oz. hot smoked salmon, loosely shredded
4 bocconcini fresh mozzarella balls, sliced
1 T shredded parmesan

Spray nonstick pan and preheat to medium. Combine eggs, milk, a healthy amount of fresh dill (just snip it straight from the sprig into the dish), and fresh ground salt and pepper to taste - remember the saltiness of the salmon (and the pepperiness, if it's cracked pepper flavored, like I used). Beat well with a fork. Pour into preheated pan and walk away for a minute or so - a little trick I learned from Kavalier & Clay. After the eggs have had a chance to set some, toss them a little with a spatula. Add salmon and mozzarella. Continue to toss until mozzarella has just started to melt and the eggs have fully set. Transfer to plate and sprinkle with parmesan, more dill, and additional salt & pepper, if desired. Et voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment